[olpc-help] charging battery/running with power cord

Wilson Farrell wilsonfarrell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 15:50:40 EST 2008

Steve Holton wrote:

>> So is the power cord port on the laptop bad or could it be the power cord itself?
>>

> Sounds like either the AC adapter is bad, or the power cord is broken.
>
> Are you handy with a voltmeter?  Could you test the output from the AC adapter?
>
> Negative to the outer shield, positive on the inner pin.
>
> ------------------------
> Steve Holton      http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support
> Got an XO? Get on the map: http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm

I'll pipe in here with a reason I think this is an issue with the
firmware, hardware or the cord... not the battery.  I've noticed a
couple of quirky things on my own laptop's battery, although nothing
serious... yet.

1) If I watch the power level indicator, (by hovering over the battery
icon) I notice it sometimes drains down a bit and then charges back up.
  I am guessing this is normal, although once or twice I saw it lower
than I thought it should have been. (in the 70's and 80's).  In one of
these cases, I unplugged the laptop, left it unplugged for a minute and
plugged it back in.  It started charging again.  Right now it says
discharging (97%) and it has been there for a while.

2) The other day I was using the laptop with just the battery.  When I
came back to my desk I plugged it back in.  I did not notice if the
power light changed colors.  I then looked at it a couple of hours later
and it was still discharging. The battery light was red and the
indicator put the level down around 10%.  It was as if the laptop did
not register the fact that power had been re-applied.   I closed
everything I was working on and eventually it shutdown.  I disconnected
the power and removed the battery.  Put it all back together again.  No
joy.  I removed and reinserted the cord a few times, tried to power up
and eventually the light turned yellow and the laptop came on.

It could be a problem with the power cord or the way the laptop decides
to charge or discharge the battery.  The power adapters seem a bit
flimsy, but I've been giggling it around and the power light stays green.

Just another data point to help you out.

Wilson