[olpc-help] Ping but no browsing?

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:22:22 EST 2008

Can you get to a well known web site using IP addresses?

For example, what happens if you type this into the Browse address bar (at
the very top of the BrowseActivity page, not the Google Search box):

    http://18.85.2.148/

If this gets you to the OLPC Support wiki, then your connectivity and
routing is fine, but your DNS service is faulty.

If this doesn't work, then you still have connectivity problems, for
example, you might be connecting to your wireless router just fine, but your
DSL is down.

On Jan 9, 2008 1:06 PM, HackerAce <community-support at lists.laptop.org>
wrote:

> The "local" page displays fine. When I do a google search from the local
> page, or type in a new URL Iget the "Page not found" error even though I can
> ping the same URL from the command line!
>

> Chih-yu Chao wrote:
> > which website were you trying to browse? or did "page not found" show
> > up when you launched the browser (which should have shown you a local
> > html page by default)?
> >
> > Chih-yu
> >
> > On Jan 9, 2008 11:38 AM, HackerAce <community-support at lists.laptop.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > > I have been able to attach to my WEP wireless router using iwconfig
> commands to set essid, key, and etc.
> > >
> > > After configuration I can ping my router and destinations on the
> internet by name.
> > >
> > > When I launch the browser via Sugar I get "Page not found"
> > >
> > > What gives?  [Shocked]

Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com