[olpc-help] community-support Digest, Vol 2, Issue 34

chuck418 at cox.net chuck418 at cox.net
Wed Jan 9 09:41:09 EST 2008

> From: "tdang" <community-support at lists.laptop.org>

> Developer key or no, I seem to have broken the XO. And I tried to revert to a previous build with the "O" key and it don't work. O my. May have to resort to the activated upgrade approach.

Hmmm, the 0 key? I think all 4 button on the lower right of the screen.

Here is a good technique previously published on the list...thanks to the author...
   1. Create a USB stick with the os{number}.img and fs.zip file at the root. A smaller USB thumb drive formatted in FAT with no other files is best.* You can get these files from official releases, see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Ship.2_Software_Release_Notes   and http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Stable_Upgrade
And download from http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/
   2. With the USB stick inserted,

power up while holding all four game buttons on the right side of screen.

   3. When it says 'release the game keys', release all buttons.
          * This will re-write the nand image.
   4. Once done with the nand re-flash, the laptop will reboot itself.
   5. Next, the laptop may update the firmware, if necessary, and reboot itself.
   6. After done with the upgrade(s), the laptop will either boot to the prompt for a name (if you have an ak flag), or fail to boot because it's not activated.
   7. If your laptop failed to boot, insert the USB stick with lease.sig on it, and boot the laptop. (So, can this be the same USB stick?)
          * This should get you to the prompt for a name.
   8. Go to the terminal, and check that the laptop is at the version you wanted.
   9. type root, enter, and poweroff to shut down the laptop.

Best,
chuck 2.0

Why walk and talk when you can sing and dance?