[olpc-help] screen does not come on

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Tue Jan 8 08:31:03 EST 2008

I've got a DOA laptop and have been having trouble getting an RMA.  Assuming that my battery got dislodged in shipment, I'm perfectly capable of opening the laptop, connecting a serial data cable, and setting the time.  Here's the information that I would need:

1) Location of the serial debug port connector.
2) ICD for the port (pins, voltages, data polarity, etc.)
3) Low level & high level protocols for the port (baud, start/stop bits, parity), (HDLC?, PPP?, interactive console?, help screens?)
4) The command sequence required to set the date.

This laptop was intended for my son (who just turned eight).  I did not expect to have to open it or troubleshoot it but It's been two weeks since my initial call to the service center (I tried again last Friday too) and I still don't have an RMA.  I gave this laptop to my son as a Christmas gift and he's pretty disappointed.  I'm willing to do anything I can to expedite the repair.

Jeff