[olpc-help] community-support Digest, Vol 2, Issue 26

chuck418 at cox.net chuck418 at cox.net
Mon Jan 7 09:43:44 EST 2008

<Do you find that 6-12 year old kids are able to tag Journal entries and search
for them? >

I was amazed when I brought the XO into work at the speed at which a 6 year old figured out the apps. Now, she has had experience on her Mother's Mac, and she got her own little Mac for Xmas, so she is more technologically adept than the target population, but she had made up songs, painted and written things within the 1st 2 hours of playing with it. She LOVED the video camera, and went around taking various pictures with it as well.

Once I hear how the kids in my daughter's elementary school class react, I'll report back. Her kids have no computers at home, and only occasional access to an old Mac in the school's "computer lab". They are native Spanish speakers, some with limited English skills. I would try to install a Spanish language version, but really, her job is to help them learn English as well as their studies.

best,
chuck 2.0
1st Day donor.

PS. I have been copying and consolidating all the posts on the list into a document. In some cases, problems have been solved, in others a variety of solutions have been tried with varying degrees of success. If I clean it up, is there some place to post it? Perhaps even repost it as solutions are added? Is this being done elsewhere?