[olpc-help] safe to rm orphan files from .sugar/default/data?

BruceM community-support at lists.laptop.org
Fri Jan 4 22:46:05 EST 2008

I have a number of large "orphan" files in .sugar/default/data, by which I mean files that don't appear in the Journal.  I'm wondering if it's safe to use rm from Terminal to remove them.

I'm not sure how they got there, but some were files that I was trying (unsuccessfully) to open in Write or the pdf reader.  For example, I have 9 files, "bigfile.pdf", "bigfile (1).pdf", ..., "bigfile (8).pdf" (30MB each), which are taking up a hunk of space.  The only file I put in was bigfile.pdf (coped from a USB stick), and I later deleted it from the journal.  I guess the multiple copies were made by sugar each time I tried to read the file and the pdf reader crashed or hung (and I restarted sugar).

In any case, they aren't listed in the Journal, so I can't delete them using it.  So, the question is, am I likely to mess anything up by simply removing them from .sugar/default/data?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Bruce