[olpc-help] Special keys from external keyboard

Doug Jones djsdl at frombob.to
Fri Jan 4 20:01:57 EST 2008

I was hoping to be able to generate these special keycodes by using
Alt-codes, but apparently these don't work on XO.

(In other words:  Hold down the Alt key, type in the desired numeric
code on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key to send the keycode.)

I just tried this, and it doesn't seem to work.  I have a theory why:

The NumLock has to be on for this to work.  My external keyboard has a
NumLock key, and the corresponding indicator light, but this key doesn't
work when the keyboard is plugged into the XO.  (Makes some sense, after
all XO itself doesn't have NumLock, or CapsLock, or ScrollLock.)

When I boot up the XO, the indicator lights for those three Lock keys do
briefly flash, just as when booting any other computer.  But after that
they stay off, no matter what key you push.

Perhaps if the XO was told to turn on NumLock on any connected external
keyboard, the Alt-codes would work?