[olpc-help] Restoring eToys to initial state?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Jan 4 01:39:55 EST 2008

> I was tinkering around during the tutorials and managed to "break"
> something, so that whenever I start eToys now I get an error message
> (details supplied upon request.) Is there a simple way to get eToys
> back to its initial state? A change file that I can simply delete
> (from inside Terminal)?

  I would say that the detail counts here.  Did you break a method?
Did you break a class definition?  Did you change a globally visible
object?  How many classes/methods affected?  The difference leads you
to different solution.

  The changes file is just a memory size optimization and the real
thing (including everything, such as methods) are in the image.  If
you overwrite a good image on disk with bad one, it is often a
problem.  (It is usually a nice idea to keep a good version of image
under a different name.)  If most of the development tools are still
working, and what is causing trouble is just method changes, you may
be able to revert the method change in a change set and the system
may effectively go back to the good state.

-- Yoshiki