[olpc-help] screen does not come on

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Thu Jan 3 14:46:02 EST 2008

Well, according to the FAQ (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#Does_opening_my_laptop_void_the_warranty.3F), having the battery become unseated can "brick" the laptop:

OLPC FAQ wrote:

> Do NOT remove the watch battery on the motherboard if you disassemble your machine—prior to the Q2D07 version of firmware, this can result in the computer becoming "bricked" or unusable!

Richard-the-hardware-guy:  Can the firmware be updated on bricked laptops, and would doing so bring them back to life?  I'd love to be able to resuscitate my XO and avoid having to do the RMA thing.

Thanks,

Jason