[olpc-help] UI rough spot: or I just don't get it?

dpbsmith community-support at lists.laptop.org
Wed Jan 2 06:55:27 EST 2008

OK, I've been playing with the XO for about a week. I'm not a member of its target audience, of course, but there are things which I just don't "get" about the Sugar UI.

I find the absence of anything like a visible file system troubling. I take it the Journal is supposed to serve that function, and I assume that you're not expected to be working on more than a dozen or so things, but even so... the Journal seems like a strange mix, I find it hard to scroll back and find the things I want to continue working on.

I find it puzzling that there's no obvious way to select multiple Journal entries to delete them as a group.

I find the "activity-open-door-icon-'keep'" tapdance to be complicated and distracting (compare to "file... save..." in Mac/Windows-like GUIs).

I still have troubles with "keep" in the browser. It frequently tells me that "keep" failed and doesn't tell me why. I'm completely baffled as to when I am actually saving content (e.g. a downloaded file) and when I am just saving a URL (which can't be re-opened if I'm not on a WiFi network).

If someone can explain these to me conceptually from the point of view of a kid, I'd appreciate it.