[olpc-help] XO won't boot

Laurie DeMott demotlj at unionuniversitychurch.org
Tue Feb 26 21:17:15 EST 2008

Hi,

I also posted this to the forum.  I'm hoping someone has some advice
for me.  I think I overtaxed my XO and now it won't boot. Here is
what I did -- I moved a 27MB pdf file from my SD card to the journal
and then tried to open it. It was taking a while to open and so,
becoming impatient, I also started Opera. Both Reader and Opera just
blinked and blinked, never opening, and I couldn't get the reboot
menu to come up so I finally had to push the power button to turn it
off. Now it won't boot -- I just get the music, the X with one dot
under it and it hangs there forever.

I tried removing the battery for awhile and restarting, but no dice.
I tried booting with the x on the gamepad and then with the o on the
gamepad but nothing changed either time. I tried copying the build to
a flashdrive and booting from that as explained in some other forum
threads but all I get is "Failure to boot" and the little sad face icon.

I will try using a couple of different flash drives since some people
seemed to have luck doing that but is there anything else I can try?

Laurie