[olpc-help] software installation question

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 09:07:39 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Maiden, Pawnee C. <pmaiden at nsf.gov> wrote:
> My question for you is would I be able to download Microsoft Windows,
> Verizon network and computer games to the XO laptops?  If so, can you please
> send us instructions on how to install using the XO laptop?

You'll need to contact the vendor of the software (Microsoft, Verizon,
or the game manufacturer) to see if their product is supported on the
XO.

The XO, as delivered, runs a somewhat customized version of Fedora
linux; software which runs under Fedora (and doesn't fail for some
other dependency) will usually run on the XO.

But if you're trying to get Windows software running on the XO, the
solutions will involve a lot of technical mangling, for example,
installing Wine (a windows-glue system).

Another alternative is to fine Linux-equivalents which perform the
same or a similar function.

> The laptops are a little different from what we are use to using so it is
> taking us a bit of time to navigate the new equipment.

The XO's Sugar interface is a breed of it's own, and not intended to
provide a Desktop-type environment. It's geared toward education.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com