[olpc-help] Setting the time

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Fri Feb 22 08:48:14 EST 2008

Quoting Doug Jones <djxo at frombob.to>:

> On this laptop, you always have to put an explicit path like /usr/sbin/
> or /sbin/ (as appropriate) in front of the command, because the shell
> doesn't have these directories listed in its search path.  Many other
> Linux distributions do have the search path set up so that you can skip
> that.

You should be able to avoid that by using a "-" (hyphen/dash) after
"su", as in "su -". This loads root's environment into the shell, so
should set up the "PATH" environment correctly. I don't have my son's
XO here with me to test it on, but that's what I've been doing when
working on his machine, and I haven't had to use the full paths.

Hope this helps,
Rick