No subject

Wed Apr 23 06:31:52 EDT 2008

entries already on the SD card Journal into the host XO. It provides a means
for backing-up Journal entries, and transferring them to other XO's.

It also serves the system administration functions mentioned, but system
administration-type knowledge is required for that, beyond what a child is
expected to know. System administration is not really meant to sound
inviting to a child, nor is the OLPC initiative attempting to make system
administrators of children.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Steve Kay <grmpysteve at gmail.com> wrote:

> In light of the following are we to assume the SD card slot was
> installed 100% for future development? A lot of work and filesystem
> trickery does not sound inviting, especially if place in a childs
> hands to go poof if XO is powered down (more likely used until battery
> low suspends machine).
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:03:28 -0400
> From: "Richard A. Smith" <richard at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: [olpc-help] SD card usage
> To: OLPC Community Support <community-support at lists.laptop.org>
>
> Steve Kay wrote:
> > What activities are capable of using the SD card either to run from or
> > to store data to?
>
> Simple answer is none.  Activities are installed to the olpc users dir
> and the data is stored in the journal.  All that happens in /home/olpc
> which is on the nand.
>
> The complex answer is all of them.  With filesystem trickery you could
> make locations on the the SD card show up as the /home/olpc dir.  Be
> prepared for a lot work to make it happen, but its possible.
>
> And a further note is that SD is still not safe if you suspend the
> machine.  So if the SD card is mounted and you suspend the machine by
> pressing the power button or closing the lid then it tends to corrupt
> your SD card filesystem.
>
> --
> Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
> One Laptop Per Child

Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com

------=_Part_5971_3095103.1208969249454

The card in the SD slot is automatically mounted, and appears as a separate &quot;Journal Icon&quot; under the Journal Activity.<br><br>From here, you can copy Journal entries to the SD card or load Journal entries already on the SD card Journal into the host XO. It provides a means for backing-up Journal entries, and transferring them to other XO&#39;s.<br>
In light of the following are we to assume the SD card slot was<br>
installed 100% for future development? A lot of work and filesystem<br>
trickery does not sound inviting, especially if place in a childs<br>
hands to go poof if XO is powered down (more likely used until battery<br>
low suspends machine).<br>
Message: 2<br>