No subject

Thu Dec 13 21:32:17 EST 2007

- Maintain supply voltage somewhere between 5V and 25V.  DC
- Be able to supply upwards of 15 Watts of power.
- Not melt down under current loads up to 3 amps.
- The positive polarity goes to the center pin.  Presumably also the
coaxial core. "Shield Ground" in audio/telco language.

Architecturally, the AC adapter (or the hand crank, Yoyo, solar panel,
bovine generator, etc) is a  seperate subsystems from the XO. You have
to get the public interfaces correct, but the private implementation
details need only be effective.

Trying to build one from DigiKey parts is a good learning exercise,
but probably not the best way to approach this. If I were doing this,
here's how I'd go about it:

- Find a suitable, readily available mated connector set which can
handle 30 volts, and 3 amps.  Get several sets.
- Cut your XO AC adapter power cort and put a mated pair of connectors inline.
- find another similar DC adapter, snip the core, and add on one of
your connector mates.

Now you have two AC adapters you can use, in case one breaks.

- Add a connector to a 12V cigarrette  lighter car adapter, observing
polarity, and now you have a car adapter, too.
- Use the same technique for a hand crank (if you can find one) solar
panel (or gang of solar panels, if you need more power capacity.

- DO NOT run AC power mains (120V) directly into your XO. This will
destroy the XO.

- Once you have that working, you can focus on building a more generic
power supply with all the bells and whistles (like a replacable fuse,
etc.)

Once I get XO hardware and can spend some times understanding and
testing solutions, I'll write-up a page for the wiki discussing other
similar ideas.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com