[olpc-help] Download/read a PG text in eBook mode: how?

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Mon Dec 31 20:37:16 EST 2007

It is a bit of a trip but here one thing you can do.
1: Open the terminal activity and at the prompt create a new subdirectory. I typed “mkdir test” to create a subdirectory called “test”.
2: Open the browser and find the “.zip” file of the book you want to read. Click on it to download it, and click “open” once it finishes downloading.
3: The OLPC opens a little dialog that allows you to pick the directory to unzip the file into. If you go back into the terminal activity you should be able to find the .txt file.
4: Back in the browser type in the url to the file. For instance “file:///home/olpc/test/xxx.txt”. You can bookmark this.

I would suggest creating a directory structure to hold your files, like “/home/olpc/gutenberg” and then bookmarking “file:///home/olpc/gutenberg” You will be able to click down from there.