[olpc-help] XO with WEP

chuck418 at cox.net chuck418 at cox.net
Sun Dec 30 09:50:11 EST 2007

with the help of some more experienced Linus kids I found that iwconfig and other useful commands live in /sbin. With that and the new build (653, I think) flashed from a USB thumb drive I was able to get this baby on my WEP enabled netwrok. I asked for the password, which I supplied after dropping down the box and choosing ASCII rather than HEX.
I updated YUM, but could not find a list of the YUM packages I might install, or which might work on the XO.

This machine is going to the 3rd world WITHIN the USA. My eldest daughter teaches public elementary school in New Haven, CT to a class of all Spanish speaking children, in English. Many are new (or illegal) immagrents, and the school is so poor she buys all her own supplies so the kids can have construction paper and things for projects.

She plans to use it as the prize for the best behaved child each day, they get to play on the XO while others do English spelling exercises.

And I learned a lot from messing around with this Linux box, which would have  been a total frustration if not for the help of you folks, here in this Community.

I thank you, my daughter (Ms Landau) thanks you, and mostly the poor children in the New Haven school system lucky enough to get their hands on this machine thank you as well.

with great respect,

chuck 2.0