[olpc-help] Troubleshooting Wireless Access

johannah rodgers johannah at zaziemetro.com
Fri Dec 28 17:46:16 EST 2007

Hi,

I just received my xo laptop today!  Everything seems to be working
quite well, however, I cannot connect to the internet via my wireless
router at home.  I have connected successfully to a Mesh network and
I've my home router shows up on my "neighborhood" screen, however, it
just keeps trying to connect and asking me for a Wireless Key.  I've
spent several hours trying to resolve this issue via the OLPC Support
Wiki and other user forums, but I have had no luck.  Here are my specs:

I'm using a Westell 6100 router Firmware version 1.0 with a WEP key,
128 bit encryption and Verizon DSL.

I have a WEP key (all numbers) and no "passphrase" and I "translated"
the numeric WEP key to a HEX key.  Nevertheless, after multiple
attempts (and successfully connecting another wireless device to my
network) I have not been able to connect either with my WEP key or with
my HEX key.  I then tried to manually configure access via the terminal
mode and had no success with this either.

I'm wondering if:

1/ I need to update my firmware and, if so, how I do that?

2/ Is it necessary to disable all Mesh networks before trying to access
a WiFi network?  I disconnected the Mesh network, but in the network
neighborhood, the circle is still blinking.

3/  Someone on one of the user boards suggested changing the channel to
1.  My current channel is 11.  I don't know how to change the
channel--is that something I'd do on my router?

Thank you so much for your help and for your patience in deciphering my
obviously rudimentary explanations about my router issues.

All best,

Johannah Rodgers