[olpc-help] How do I tell the XO X server to use the fonts t

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Fri Dec 28 16:08:14 EST 2007

Well, first of all, since X is started with "-fp built-ins", it ignores the FontPath specified by xorg.conf.  As far as I can tell, the "-fp built-ins" is hard-coded into olpc-dm.  So there's no easy way to change it.  Which seems really stupid to me, but perhaps I'm missing something here.

In any case, it *should* be possible to change the font path after the server has started, using xset.  As I understand it, either of the following should work:

(a) xset +fp unix/:7100
(b) xset +fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi

Both of them give the unhelpful response:

xset: bad font path element (#61), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

What the heck is going on here?