[olpc-help] Keyboard issues - stuck keys, keys registering erroneously

jbike community-support at lists.laptop.org
Thu Dec 27 11:17:27 EST 2007

OCA| wrote:
> I recieved my G1G1 laptop on Friday, and after extensive use, a problem with the keyboard has developed. When doing the OFW test-all proceedure, I was able to determine what is happening: when pressing a key, another key on the keyboard may register in addition to that one. This frequently becomes the CTRL key, causing all sorts of unintended behavior in applications. In addition, keys sometimes will stick, continuing to register when they are no longer depressed.
>
> While I doubt this is a software issue, I did first notice this after doing 'olpc-update joyride-1467'. Since then, I have done 'olpc-update 650' and the problem persists. I may try an activated upgrade next.
>
> This does not occur on USB keyboards plugged in to the machine.
>
> I imagine this will require e-mailing help at laptop dot org and possibly an RMA, but I figure documenting it here would not hurt in the event others run into the same problem, or a simple, user applied fix is found.
>
> EDIT: Removed the images, thought the "public" folder on the iDisk wouldn't require a login. Silly me.
>
> -OCA|

I do not believe that this is necessarily a hardware issue. I have seen the problem using an external usb keyboard as well as on the XO keyboard.  In my opinion, this is all software.  See below:

Thanks for developing the XO, I am a participant of the G1G1, and my boy and I found a few irregularities that I would like to report.

First, when using an external keyboard/mouse while charging the  battery, the period key (and only the period key) seems to have "shift" on, resulting in the right shift character printed to the screen. The laptop keyboard reported the correct character. Also, while in this mode, the browser buttons to go to the wiki activities did not work (perhaps other browser functions as well). Rebooting the computer fixed the problem immediately but the issue seems to come back daily.

Also, we experienced the mouse jumping back and fourth problem, though we found this in the wiki as a known issue (I have yet to recalibrate).

Also, I have experienced some problems with the backlight. If the backlight is  turned down, and the laptop sits for a while, the button to resume the backlight function does not work immediately.

Jbike