[olpc-help] Three Questions: Password for Wireless, Sound, and Browser

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Wed Dec 26 19:49:48 EST 2007

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Anonymous wrote:
> Joe,

I'm not Joe, but will take a stab at explaining:)

> Thanks for your help in understanding how to correctly enter the code.
> cat /boot/olpc_build

Looks good. Don't forget the space between "cat" and the first "/". Also make
sure your typing in the Terminal screen and not in the little box in the top
left. You can hit the page down arrow to move the cursor to the terminal.
Probably other ways...

> su -

Again good. There may be other times where you will need to type "root"
instead. Both will cause you to become root, however there are some
differences. Use which ever method the particular instructions suggest.

> olpc-update 653  --OR--  olpc-update ship.2-653

The second is correct, but as ffm posted, don't! While easier that the
alternate using a USB key, it currently downloads an unsigned version that
will not boot unless you have a developer key. Hopefully they will have this
fixed in a few days.

Further, I would suggest not upgrading to 653 at all. (See my post in the
Fresh restart thread.)

> yum update

You can do this to 650 and gets several minor updates to that build. "su -"
and hit the Enter key first. BTW, all commands should be 'entered' then wait
until if finishes doing what ever it is doing and returns to a prompt before
typing the next command.

The prompt looks something like;
[olpc at xo-0D-41-F6 ~]$
before 'SU'ing to root. And;
-bash-3.2#
after. The "$" and "#" are the important part that tells you if you are a
normal user or root. The rest may look slightly diffrent between builds. (And
very diffrent on other Linux distros.)

> reboot

Yes. And probably from the Sugar GUI. I have not seen any of the instructions
suggest doing it from the terminal. (There is a way... Will test if I have
time tonight)

> I am not sure exactly what it did but it seemed happy.

Just curious, but which ones have you already run?
--
William