[olpc-help] Screen blacks out midway during boot

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Dec 25 10:54:38 EST 2007

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

>> However, adult supervision is really not necessary.  And we have 2+
>> years of field data that supports this.
>
> Now that *is* interesting! Where exactly do adults fit in this model?
> What's the typical "life cycle" of a group of children and their XOs
> over the course of a year?

I'm afraid that I don't have those levels of answers.  Our field trial
people could give you all the specific details.

I just know that from the summary reports of the B1-B4 field trials and
the various country pilot tests that happened the children have had very
little trouble figuring out the laptop on their own.  They just muck
about with things until they figure it out.

Have you ever heard of the Hole in the Wall project?  Its a perfect example.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/egwest/holeinthewall.html

The adults usually play a role in the overall guidance of the learning.
    Planning out the focus of the pilot and what not and yes they also
answer questions about how things operate.  But in many cases its the
kids showing the adults how things work.

This however is the extent of my knowledge on such things. Deeper
discussion is out of my area of expertise.  But children "discovering"
things and kid-helping-kid are core concepts for the OLPC
constructionist learning philosophy.  This is why almost every
application on the laptop has some sort of collaborative feature.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child