Fresh restart

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Dec 24 12:20:41 EST 2007

kelru2000 wrote:
> Tomorrow is Christmas!  I would like to reset the XO so that when my
> daughter turns it on tomorrow, she can type in her own name and
> choose her own color scheme.

If you want a virgin machine you can do a complete re-install with

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Upgrade

You might want to upgrade to build 653 if you do.

> Is there a set up file that I can delete to make that happen?  I am
> getting a feel for the command line, but I don't know where to look.

All the settings for the sugar interface are stored in the .sugar
directory in the /home/olpc directory.  Things that start with '.' don't
show up in a normal listing  you have to use the -a option with ls.

'ls -a' will list all the files in the directory.

You can delete the .sugar directory and everything you have changed will
  revert back to default. (I think)

So you can go to the terminal utility and do 'rm -rf .sugar' then reboot.

I tried this on my XO and it seems to "Work for Me" but I'm a hardware
guy so I'm not a defacto source for sugar knowledge.  Of course if it
does muck something up then you can use the upgrade procedure to restore
to a clean image.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child