installing a regular os?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Dec 24 10:25:13 EST 2007

rkevans wrote:

> Explore the OpenFirmWare.  Then use the magic phrase:  disable-security
>
> I have a Puppy 3.01 image (from the Universal Installer) on a USB key, and it doesn't boot. I knew that would happen.  If you move the OLPC vmlinuz file to the USB key, you can try to boot it from OFW with the command
>
> boot w:\vmlinuz
>
> Of course, it fails with a kernel panic.  But at least you can see the debug messages.  It looks like the kernel is trying to load modules and can't see the SquashFS.  Still working on it.  This is fun!
> I'll probably be hanging out on #puppylinux at irc.freenode.net today if you want to talk in real-time.
>
> Rick Evans

The file you want to tweak is the /boot/olpc.fth file on the nand.
Openfirmware loads this file and uses it to get the boot kernel.  Tweak
the settings in that file to point to your kernel with the right options
and it should boot correctly.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child