[olpc-community-support] My WEP connection experience.

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 23:47:51 EST 2007

Shiseiji wrote:
> You are supposed to be able to look at the version load with [CRT] [ALT] [Neighborhood] but either my screen is scrolling or it isn't there.

Just FYI.. Neighborhood is F1, the one to the right of that is F2, then F3, etc.

In Linux, you can switch "virtual terminals", and the XO has a total of three. When you are in Sugar (the GUI), CTRL-ALT-F1 and CTRL-ALT-F2 will switch you to the first virtual terminal and second virtual terminal, respectively. The GUI is on the third virtual terminal (ALT-F3).

During boot, all of the scroll and info go to the first virtual terminal. That's the stuff you saw when you switched to it. If you press Enter, it will re-display the login prompt and show you the build version.

Also, if you switch to the second virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F2), you will see just the login prompt without a bunch of boot info :)

- Joe