[olpc-community-support] Browser failed to connect

mattsalz matt_salzmann at tds.net
Sat Dec 22 17:43:32 EST 2007

JonB said

> Get your XO so it's connected (green circle with white outer rim). Then open a Terminal and type this in:
>
> nm-tool
>
> You should see lots of fun network related info. That last part is what's important. Make sure you see:
>
> IP Address: 192.168.0.3
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Broadcast: 192.168.0.255
> Gateway: 192.168.0.1
> Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
> Secondary DNS: --some other IP address--
>
> If all those IP numbers look good (no 0.0.0.0's in there) then do this:

The Secondary DNS was the WAN DNS#1 on the router's configuration page

JonB said

> Now one more step, fetch the web page with wget:
>
> wget yahoo.com
>
> You'll see wget do a name lookup on yahoo.com. It'll look something like this:
>
> Resolving yahoo.com... 216.109.112.135, 66.94.234.13
> Connecting to yahoo.com|blah... connected
> then some more blah with "301 Moved..." and another Resolving www.yahoo.com message.
>
> IF THAT MESSAGE COMES BACK with an IP address of 1.0.0.0 then your firmware in your modem is whack and needs to be updated. The GT700 series modems use Linux with a whack version of IP6 DNS. Your XO is the first IP6 aware device you've tried on your network so it's the first to trip the bug in your modem.
>
> So does wget give you 1.0.0.0?

wget  sends the index.html

and says Resolving www.yahoo.com ...69.147.114.210

after the 301 Moved Permanently message

the GT704-WG's firmware version is 3.130.1.0.6.1-GT704-WG

after running yum update the browser and news reader have worked fine
It would have been interesting to do more hunting around pre update but at the time I was focused on getting the browser to work.

all I really know about IPv6 is that it is a really big number