[olpc-community-support] Three Questions: Password for Wireless, Sound, and Browser

jbglapaz jbgrayiii at mac.com
Fri Dec 21 21:37:05 EST 2007

Hi Joe,

> One thing that may or may not be a good idea is to update to the latest official build (653) if you haven't already. You can check what build you are using in Terminal with the command 'cat /boot/olpc_build'. You can update in terminal, as root after 'su -', with 'olpc-update ship.2-653'. Once everything finishes and you get your Internet back up, go to Terminal again (as root) and type 'yum update' and finally reboot. This should get all the latest and greatest that is considered "stable".

Joe, I found the terminal and tried an entry just to see what would happen. Part of me says "Don't do anything, figure out how things work first!" and another voice, "Go ahead! Let's see what we learn!"

 I entered su cat/boot/olpc_build
also cat/boot/olpc_build
also with quotes around both of the above.

I get back user cat/boot/olpc_build does not exist

Perhaps I should leave well enough alone.

I seem to be having no problems  and am slowly learning my way around intuitively with the help of the tutorial (this is FUN!)

Any idea on how I can delete Firefox? I think I just want to use what is here for awhile and be careful what I download.

Thanks for being there. I am also having fun exploring in my new community.

Best wishes,

John

> Feel free to let us know what worked for you!
>
> - Joe

PS.
> The XO -should- remember your password/phrase for your wireless. When you turn on the laptop, does it always ask for the password? Do you pull the drop-down box down and select HEX or ASCII depending on what you are entering?

For some reason, I am no longer having this problem.