[olpc-community-support] 1. Can't connect 2. don't understan

mburns maburns at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:46:18 EST 2007

sally.colinvaux at gmail. wrote:
> I can't connect to any network with security; no password works
> (they all behave the same as if I typed in anything, ie the wrong
> password.)

Try changing your password (on the router) to HEX instead of ASCII.  This guide should help you answer some questions:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#Connectivity_and_the_Internet

sally.colinvaux at gmail. wrote:
> I have verizon DSL modem/router (ActiontecGT704WG), not very new.
> The back of the router says: WEP KEY: followed by 10 alphanumeric
> characters where the first one is a zero.(This is my normal password)
> I can't get into the router to change the security (don't know how the
> 168 number is the manual does not work.)

You will likely need to change your network password, as this seems to be a recurring issue (a fix is in the way). To do that, you will need to log into the router and change settings. There is likely a recovery procedure if you have lost your account information to do this.

sally.colinvaux at gmail. wrote:
> 2. I have been trying to follow your advice to  find which software I have &
> upgrade the software, but whatever I type in terminal gets me: no such
> file or directory; I am a complete  newbie, the terminal
> says:'[olpc at xo - 0D - 52 - 66 ~ ]$ followed by a symbol for a box'
>
> Help, please give more detailed instructions...

Commands typed into the terminal need to be exact. You can hit enter serveral times to clear out any text that might be on the screen, then immediately type iwconfig with no spaces, capitals or other text. It should spit a seriers of tables/text about your wireless card. Just as an example.

Let me know how it works! :)