[olpc-community-support] screen does not come on

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Dec 21 14:41:20 EST 2007

Kim Quirk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that I'm not the only one who's laptop is DOA (dead on
> arrival).   I received my XO on the 17th of December, unpacked it and
> connected it according to the recommended procedure. I inserted the
> battery, connected power supply and switched it on via power button.
>
> Result: NOTHING!! No beep, no display, no other boot activity.

Hi,  I'm Richard a hardware guy at OLPC and I'm in charge of the EC
code.  I just subscribed to the community-support list so I'm it bit
cold on this issue.  But I'd like to help.

I've got a few things I'd like you to try.

> I tried to get the XO started by resetting the EC as mention in the
> troubleshooting guide several times but with no success at all.
>
> I would like to know if there is anybody who knows about a fix for this
> obviously not so rare problem. I really would like to get the little
> thing working since I'm too curious about it.

Step 1 is to see if the EC is booting.  Repeat the remove-all-power step
. Ie no battery and no external power.  Then try 2 different variations.
1) just insert the battery
2) just hook up ext power.

In both cases I want you to watch the battery status light when you
power up the XO.  When the EC boots it briefly flashes the battery light
yellow.

If that works then see if the EC is continuing to run by inserting a
battery and then plugging up external power.  You should either see a
green fully charged battery light or a yellow charging indicator.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child