[olpc-community-support] Airport Express setup instructions

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:59:14 EST 2007

Anonymous wrote:
> Just thought I'd post how to connect to an Apple Airport Express wifi network  that is using WEP authentication because I ran into some issues with not understanding how to make it connect.

Just FYI, these are steps you can follow to make it so you can use an ASCII phrase (5 or 13 characters for 64 or 128 bit, respectively). Visit this page (http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp), enter a desired 5 or 13 character phrase that you can remember easily in the "Custom Phrase" box, and click "Generate Custom Key". The HEX equivalent will be in the bottom box. Copy that key into your router or wireless access point. From then on, any machine that you would like to allow onto the wireless, just type in your easy to remember ASCII phrase, as opposed to a long 26 character HEX number.

Good luck!

- Joe