[olpc-community-support] Radio turns on only with stone-cold

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:19:11 EST 2007

bhetrick at gmail.com wrote:
> I got my XO yesterday, and have discovered that the radio networking turns on at boot only when the machine is "fully rested" -- when it has been several hours since the last time it was on. Elapsed time, not battery status, seems to be affecting factor. The radio fails to turn on at following reboots whether the time with radio has been seconds or hours. When there is no radio, ipconfig reports only the loopback present, and /dev/eth0 is simply not there. Possibly related, the boot animation turns into a text screen about 2/5th of the way through on the first few boots where radio fails to be present. I have emailed help at laptop dot org, since there is no reason to believe
> this is from damage during delivery, but have no response yet. Does
> anyone have ideas?

It does sound like a serious issue you've got. If you are a little more technically savvy, you could try this just to test, if you have a USB key/flash drive. Try simply flashing it with the latest stable build, either 650 or 653 (as of 12/20/07). Instructions can be found on the wiki page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Upgrade).

Thanks,
-Joe