[olpc-community-support] Downloaded File Defies Erase in Journal

paz pzelenka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:25:15 EST 2007

I downloaded the file Gmail-2.xo from the wiki.laptop.org and in was then listed in the Journal.  The icon looks like a page with the upper right conor dog eared and in the lower half of the icon, there are two rows of black squares.  I would guess it is a binary file?

I reviewed the Activity row on the Sugar desktop and found that the Gmail wasn't listed. Of course, I then relied on the one cross platform computer strategy I have used for years, I rebooted the XO.  The Gmail activity did not appear anywhere on the row.

I then relied on my second most useful strategy, I downloaded the file again.  The download appeared in the Journal, this time with a different icon, an envelope.  I checked the Activity Row and it appeared there and functioned properly.

I attempted to erase/remove the first File Gmail-2.xo file from the Journal without success.  I select the file and then the dash icon - Erase.  The dash icon lightens for a few seconds and then darkens and the file remains.  I have downloaded and removed other Activity files without issue, yet this file persists.

Do I need to use a Terminal approach to this?  If so, does anyone have the path to where the file is stored?

One other thing, while I'm thinking about the Sugar Activity Row, how are the Activities ordered on the Sugar Row?  Can this order be manipulated with ease?

Thanks,

PZ