[olpc-community-support] XO language support

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Dec 19 11:58:01 EST 2007

I recommend this discussion take place on the localization mailing list.

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 23:06 +0000, iankile wrote:
> Awesome. Thanks. Yeah, Devanagari is used in both Hindi and Nepali.  Very handy when trying to learn them both.  Lots of overlap.  :)

We're happy to get help translating to more languages.  Both translators
and language coordinators are needed.

Please see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization

We have a pootle translation system set up at
https://dev.laptop.org/translate/

> I changed the language to Hindi in the control panel and restarted but instead of the characters all I get are boxes with what looks like hexidecimal in them.

That indicates no font with the right characters are available on the
machine.

> Do I need to download a character set or are all supported languages preloaded and I just did something wrong?

No, we don't have all the ducks in a row for any but a few languages in
the G1G1 build.  Update.1 should have many more languages, how many
depends on people pitching in and helping.
 - Jim

> Ian

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child