No subject

Thu Dec 13 21:32:17 EST 2007

As for the XO mac address:
Every wireless internet device has a unique MAC address. It's basically a
unique ID that identifies the network internet card in that device. Think of
it as a unique serial number.
Most wirless routers (like your Linksys access point) have a feature called
MAC address filtering.  So MAC address filtering is a way to tell your
Linksys access point (it works with other brands as well) that you only want
specific devices to be able to connect to your router. You would actually
have to go to a configuration screen for your Linksys access point and type
in the MAC address of every device you wanted to bea ble to connect to your
wireless network.

If you did set up MAC filtering and I drove by your house with my computer
and happened to know your WEP key (don't worry I don't have the slightest
clue) then I would still not be able to connect to your wirless access point
because your wirless access point wouldn't accept connections from my
computers MAC address because you wouldn't have typed it in.

By default MAC filtering is not turned on in Linksys wireless access points.
Thus they accept connections from any device and you are using WEP to make
sure that only people that know the secret WEP code can connect.  So unless
you turned MAC filtering on, typing in your MAC address is not likely the
problem.

Hope that helps.
Paul