[olpc-community-support] A few basic questions

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Dec 16 22:11:47 EST 2007

Hi - I'm glad I found this site!

I was out of town until late last night, and found my XO on my porch - so I'm just getting started. I'm feeling a little in need of an "idiot's" guide, especially considering I'm a software developer (although not in linux) and children reportedly pick up how to use the laptop rather easily - but, in general, I'm excited over the possiblities - and am trying to figure out how I can help.

I have a couple of basic questions to start:

1) What exactly is a 'mesh' network? On the neighborhood view I can see all the wireless connections in the neighborhood (including mine that I haven't managed to connect with yet, but I'm trying), plus several 'mesh' networks. What are these?

2) Is there a way to name the documents created in the 'write' activity? I found the 'keep' function to 'save' them in text format - but they all show up as 'text' in journal. Also, how to I add the other info that shows in journal - like the 'tags'?

Once I figure things out (which, again, I am feeling a little 'dumb' about) - I'd be interested in helping with documentation - I've been told that I write well, and explain technical concepts in a non-technical manner. (ok, don't judge too much by this post - I'm exhausted tonight!)

Thanks!

Mary