[olpc-community-support] adult newby questions

Steve Holton (sholton) sholton at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 15 12:18:17 EST 2007

Comments on this *process*:

> How to change your machine Nickname?  For Leanne & All:

1. Standardized terminology is important.

If (because I'm not sure myself) the first name entered into the XO is called
the machine's 'nickname' then we have to ensure we always refer to it as that.
Not as a 'Nick', not as a 'nick name'. We have to keep the terminology
consistent, to foster communication, to aid the search engines, and to help our
customers help us.

Also someone unfamiliar with English has no way of knowing that the character
construction 'nick name' has anything to do with a "nick' while still being able
to understand enough to copy and paste a command like fix.

- How does the XO user figure out that this 'thing' is called a 'nickname'? How
do we? This is critical information (for both of us) in order to locate support
for the 'thing'.

> When you arrive at Terminal's text-based command prompt, type the
> following just for kicks:
>     sugar-control-panel          (hit 'Enter' to run)
>     sugar-control-panel -l       (lists parameters)

2. Eliminate extraneous information.

The note about activating the control panel (without options or with other
options) is really useful information...but not for this customer. It just gets
in the way.

We will eventually have much more general information pages which will need to
apply across multiple needs. We can't customize the general information pages
for each customer's specific problem. But when we *are* creating custom
instructions for an individual customer and a specific problem, the solution
steps need to be as customized as possible.

This means (warning: hard work ahead) that after we've cleared a issue we need a
process to ensure that the information about both the issue and the resolution
are vetted to ensure accuracy, optimized, remove misleading steps, and indexed
so when we hit the issue again, we know how to respond.

3. Support for supporters.

Before there is a large support crew, the groundwork for a 'train the
supporters' program needs to be put in place. This would ensure that people
answering the questions have the skills and tools they need to do a superb job.

Just my thoughts, of course.