[Community-news] OLPC News (04/08/06)

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Sat Apr 8 16:55:56 EDT 2006

8 April

1. With the successful on-time release to fabrication of the
first-generation printed-circuit board, Mark Foster and the hardware team
have been devising plans for the delivery of large volumes of developer
boards to support our software-development partners, as well as the
evaluation needs of our launch countries. We decided to move as quickly as
possible with pre-A-test boards. This will let developers work with a
feature set that is much closer to the production feature set than any
commercial alternatives. Achieving large volumes of these hand-tested PCBs
is somewhat challenging; we expect to release the first 100 developer
boards in May, with the remaining 400 shipping in June.

2. Mark and Jim Gettys are also working together with the Open Source
community to propose new techniques to support OLPC's power management
architecture.  (Jim will be attending a Power-Management Summit in
California next week.)
3. Seymour Papert, Alan Kay, Walter Bender, and other members of the team
spent time thinking through many aspects of the eBook/Wiki platform. Alan
demonstrated a wiki that supports modifiable and executable Logo programs
within the pages of the wiki itself. It is this type of dynamism we will
be supporting in the eBook. Walter is pulling together a team from the
Mediawiki community to build out the basic infrastructure.
4. This OLPC community-news update is now available as email. Please
subscribe to the community-news mailing list by visiting
http://mailman.laptop.org/mailman/listinfo/community-news.
-walter
---
Walter Bender