[Cambridge-social] TODAY 5:30pm: OLPC Community Meetup @ Flat Top Johnny's, Cambridge

Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Jan 25 07:58:34 EST 2012

TOPIC: great/growing OLPC community projects in Haiti, Jamaica,
Madagascar & beyond!!

Get to know some amazing opportunities in our very own North American
CariBEANtown frontyard:

  * how easy it is to fly to Haiti for (for as little as $59+tax) to
    volunteer with truly great people
  * how falling prices and increasing reach of 3G-and-better Internet is
    quickly expanding opportunities in Haiti today
  * how we organized a Professional Learning Community (PLC) among
    semi-rural Haiti teachers+school directors
  * how OpenStreetMap presents entirely new real-world learning project
    opportunities:
      o http://tapTapMap.org
      o http://www.learnOSM.org
      o http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Ndoiron/OfflineMap
  * how English's expanding popularity in Haiti is making Creole &
    French "courseware" even more complex than I imagined
  * why so many are flying onto OLPC Jamaica next week:
      o http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ALEARN_Network
      o http://blog.laptop.org/2012/01/11/update-from-olpc-jamaica-in-august-town/
  * how difficult + insanely valuable running a school and blogging
    about it can be:
      o http://BuildingASchool.org
  * how you too can post to have worldwide impact
      o http://planet.laptop.org
      o http://planet.sugarlabs.org
  * does everyone realize that famous 1980 "USA! USA!" chant really
    stands for UNBELIEVABLE SUGAR ACTIVITIES? Someone *please* finally
    fix Wikipedia here:
      o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-S-A!_%28chant%29

And everything else you want to ask of special guest OLPC
implementer/photographer Laura de Reynal in person all the way from
Madagascar & Paris!

Myself I'm back from Haiti to Boston suddenly *this morning* and very
much hope to C U/Y'all 5:30pm tonight Wedn Jan 25!

     Flat Top Johnny's
     1 Kendall Sq, Cambridge

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !