[Cambridge-social] Wedn 7:30PM - How to CREATE+MAP Yr Own OLPC/Sugar Volunteer Experience

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Apr 9 14:55:24 EDT 2011

Thinking about starting your own Social Enterprise Venture, overseas or
nearby?  Just do it!  Whether not you agree with every part of OLPC's
famous herculean mission:

     http://youtube.com/watch?v=c-M77C2ejTw
     http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMeX2D4AOjM

*Join us and 20+ others from Tufts/MIT at the OLPC Foundation's
headquarters this Wedn evening 7:30PM* led my Marina Zdobnova
(presenting) & Adam Holt (responding).  We'll all work together to
directly answer:

     * Why should we volunteer, and for what, over the course of our lives?
     * What makes volunteering around ICT4D / ICT4E (*) so incredibly
challenging?
     * Is "DIY Foreign Aide" a voluntourist joke, or a material change
in 3G intl development?
     * Where can community tools like http://olpcMAP.net unleash
grassroots power in this decade?
     * What volunteers have managed funds+community to unlock their
global volunteer experience?
     * What's behind trendy corporate social responsibility / service
learning leadership buzzwords?
     * With 2 million XO laptops distributed, how do volunteers actually
engage to prove themselves?
     * What differentiates our social movements from yet another
Twitter/Facebook marketing campaign?
     * How did Mike Lee (in attendance from DC!) build
http://olpcLearningClub.org far beyond so many others cities?
     * What can the Mideast's Arab Spring teach US--conquering our own
fears--converting self-organized aspirations to proven opportunity?

(*) ICT4D/ICT4E = educational technology for developing countries
especially.  Very informal nibbles/drinks included.  Children welcome if
they participate.  As with all OLPC/Sugar events, this is
volunteer-organized and volunteer-funded, so BYOD(ream) -- and be
prepared to enunciate it, no matter how unvarnished!

While we may not have time for our full/traditional Deployment Trivia
Contest this time, but we will raffle off a RED XO Laptop to the person
who asks the most genuinely eye-opening question.  By popular vote when
our Wedn April 13 event ends by 9PM!  But you MUST arrive on-time at
7:30PM as the 1st floor security desk will in fact close after that time:

     1 Cambridge Center, 10th Floor
     One Laptop per Child
     Kendall Square
     Cambridge, MA  02142

Thanks!!  And thanks again for bringing *your own OLPC-related
DIY/DIO(urselves) social venture idea* if possible, no matter what
continent/country/county it involves.../

Hosted in conjunction with Tuft Univ's http://compasspartners.org/meet
-- we are very honored to be included alongside their past speakers
included below./

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

*_Tufts University Compass Speakers, 2010-2011 Academic Year_*

*Lauren Kay*: Founder of Smartsitting, a high-end New-York based
tutoring and babysitting service

*Ken Estridge*: Business and Executive Coaching for Entrepreneurs and
Senior leaders in Fortune 500 companies.

*Ben Dolgoff and Mike Fruzzetti*: Founders of Peekaboo Mobile, a mobile
application that provides mobile coupons

*Daniel Goldstein*: Owner of Central Square's Clear Conscience Café

*David Campbell*: Founder and CEO of All Hands Volunteers

*David McKean*: CEO of the JFK Library Foundation

*Jim Paull*: CEO of Stellaris, an innovative solar technology and module
manufacturer.

*Dick Simon*: Founder of Dick Simon Photography

*Antje Danielson*: Founder of ZipCar

*Rolando Robledo*: Chef of Clover Food Lab

*Camille Preston*: Founder of AIM Leadership

*Zeina Fayyaz*: Program Coordinator for the Social Innovation Forum at
Root Cause

*Julie Manga*: Executive Coach at Leadership Lab

*Victor Mathieux*: Founder of Brain Nectar

Nancy Wilson: Interim Dean of Tufts University's Tisch College of
Citizenship and Public Service

*Jason Evanish*: Founder of Greenhorn Connect