[Bookreader] Annotations [WAS: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Get Books Activity 3, now with SneakerNet/ChappalNet support]

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:55:48 EST 2009

Hi,
So far, I have tried to keep everything related to annotations
generic, but that may not be possible further down the road. For
example, if you look at the current bookmarking+notes code in Read, it
is pretty generic, the only requirement being that the document should
be paginated in a reproducible way.
The Evince folks are starting to work on PDF annotations (or it may be
there already - I'll need to check), but that kind of leaves other
formats such as DJVU, etc in the cold. Also PDF annotation is format
specific (a part of the PDF standard itself). Moreover, evince
currently does only a subset of what we handle. For example, it does
not yet handle EPUB files.
So, in short, we are looking at a pretty tricky situation here. Ideas
and suggestion and code are most welcome :-)
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta