[Bookreader] Newbie question: where's help most dearly needed?

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:11:14 EST 2009

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for jumping in :-)

There are a lot of places where we need help. Sharing of annotations
would be awesome to begin with. I can help you by pointing out the
relevant code files, etc if needed. The workflow I'm considering is
something like:

Click on share -> popup asking if annotations should be shared as well
(I hate popups, but I think it is more important to let the user have
the choice of not sharing the annotations) -> sharing happens

Does it make sense ?

Thanks,
Sayamindu

>>> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/01/festival-text-to-speech-synthesis.html
>>> http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Text-to-Speech-on-Linux
>>> http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tts-cubed/
>>> http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/122197 - two readers - plug-ins for
> [...]
>>> noisy environments ... another advantage of audio reading is much longer
>>> battery life because you can turn off LCD monitor and audio alone does
>>> not consume much energy.
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think.
>>> All the best,
>>> Gregor
>>>

>>> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta<sayamindu at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:sayamindu at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      Hi Gregor,
>>>      Thanks a lot for jumping in :-)
>>>
>>>      On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Gregor Kervina
>>>      <gregor.kervina at gmail.com<mailto:gregor.kervina at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>>>       >  Dear Sayamindu Dasgupta, SJ Klein and other members of this list,
>>>       >
>>>       >  I'm a student of electrical engineering from Europe and would
>>>      like to share
>>>       >  with you my very positive experience with text to speech
>>>      technology that can
>>>       >  in my opinion significantly increase the educational potential of
>>>      XO if used
>>>       >  in the right way.
>>>       >
>>>       >  For the past 12 years (since I was 15 years old) I'm daily
>>>      learning from
>>>       >  e-books and internet using text to speech software. I know this
>>>      software is
>>>       >  unpopular in developed world, many people don't even know that it
>>>      exists. On
>>>       >  the other hand many people (including me) don't like reading long
>>>      texts on
>>>       >  the LCD screens - that's why e-books are also not very popular.
>>>       >
>>>       >  But unlike my friends I read 50+ e-books every ear and also daily
>>>      news on
>>>       >  the internet - I just select the text, copy it, and CoolSpeech
>>>      software
>>>       >  (using Mary voice) reads me all the text with speeds 300 to 500
>>>      words per
>>>       >  minute. In this way I can browse other sites or look at photos or
>>>      just lay
>>>       >  down and listen while my laptop is reading to me.
>>>       >  Other people don't understand what I'm reading because it is too
>>>      fast for
>>>       >  them but it can be learned quickly with slower speeds at beginning.
>>>       >
>>>       >  I think XO laptops should definitely have such software
>>>      pre-installed and a
>>>       >  video introduction how to use it and what reading speeds can they
>>>      expect
>>>       >  after some time of practicing.
>>>       >  It is also ideal for children with poor eye sight.
>>>       >
>>>
>>>      This sounds awesome. Could you let us know if the text to speech
>>>      software you have in mind is free/opensource and if it works on Linux
>>>      ?
>>>      I am also looking at DTBooks specifications for digital talking books
>>>      - do you know how useful/widespread this technology is ?

Sayamindu Dasgupta