[Bookreader] help getting e-book content to use teaching English to 6th graders in Ethiopia

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Mon Jan 26 17:22:38 EST 2009

Also try the Aussie Gutenberg.  Their copyright law has a saner copyright
period, and since your are in Ethiopia...

Btw, you might want to aim for books written for kids younger than the ones
you are teaching, as there is a general problem with the reading level being
quite high for many "kids books" in these repositories.  And preview the
books yourself to be sure the content is acceptable for your audience.  I
computed the Lexile score for a story from a book labelled as "kindergarten"
in Gutenberg and found it matched the level of an average sixth grader.  Of
course the book was meant to be the source of stories for a teacher to tell
a kindergartener.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Richard Murray <rmurraygr at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>      This e-mail requests some help on getting e-book content for two XO
> laptops I'm donating to a school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
>      My name is Richard Murray.  I'm a retired lawyer visiting Ethiopia for
> two months with my wife, who is helping with some medical projects.  I am
> volunteering to teach English to some sixth graders at a private school in
> Addis Ababa that is funded by the Children's Home Society and Family
> Services in St. Paul, MN.  I brought two XO laptops that I got in late 2007
> through the Get One, Give One program.  They didn't come with any e-book
> content, but now that I am here I think that would be most useful.  There
> aren't many English books in Addis, and those that exist aren't very good
> for 6th graders.  We are making photocopies of the few good books we have
> for use in class.  I would like to show the teachers here how e-book content
> would work with these laptops.  We don't have enough machines for the
> students, but such content might lead them to work to get more machines.
> Can you help?
> Dick Murray
>
> --
> Richard (Dick) Murray
> 2126 Fremont Ave.
> Madison, WI 53704
> 608-204-0857 (h)

"Don't think for a minute that power concedes. We have to work like our
future depends on it."  -- Barack Obama