[Bookreader] Sharing books and Gnubook

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 11:04:23 EST 2009

Heh, super quick response :-)

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> Alternately, if you are using a Browse shell to read books in gnubook
> format, as long as both you and a friend store the book in its default
> named location, you should be able to share a [local file] URL and
> have it display properly on both machines.  In both this case and the
> pdf use case, you have to solve the problem of exchanging the file
> being shared before sharing -- either a pdf or a zipfile or an xo[l]
> bundle.
>
> For the WP activity, you exchange the entire xo bundle before sharing.
>  Note that we want to merge xo and xol bundles asap; as with
> activities, collections require both parties to have obtained a copy
> of the bundle before sharing a collaborative session in which you use
> it with others.

I was actually suggesting "exporting" individual books to the Journal,
which would be openable (and shareable) by read, and can simply be
"pushed" to other kids (I have
http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2008/12/new-feature-object-transfer-in-journal.html
in mind). With a very simple Python hack, I could "export" a book from
the bundle into a format readable by evince (no modifications were
made to evince).

-sdg-

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta