[Bookreader] Sharing books and Gnubook

raj kumar rkumar at archive.org
Wed Feb 4 03:50:16 EST 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:

> That said, a standalone gnubook reader would be excellent, and Raj
> suggested it might be on the horizon.  Raj/Anand, any thoughts on how
> easy that would be?

Hi all,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. We've been busy trying to keep the
cluster up and running...

I don't actually know much about XO development, but based on our
testing of GnuBook on the olpc, I think we have a long ways to go to
get something that works well.

I think we have a lot of challenges. At the Internet Archive, we have
been focused on collecting materials. We now have more than a million
books on archive.org, and we are scanning 1000 books/day in 18
libraries.

Challenge #1: appropriate content. The majority of the books we have
are pre-1923 and in English. Are these books going to be useful on the
OLPC? I've been struggling with this one for a long time and I think
this is where organizations like CK12 come in. Brewster and I met with
CK12 today and were amazed at the work they are doing in creating CC-
licensed modern textbooks. We hope they can take books from
archive.org and revise, localize, and modernize them using their
talented authors, their wiki system, and their flexbook system. The
math textbooks might be a good start.

Challenge #2: curriculum. We have one million books on archive.org.
How can a teacher select a subset of books and create a bundle for
offline use on the student's OLPCs? Our Children's Library has more
than 3000 books: http://www.archive.org/details/iacl. We have scanned
thousands of textbooks. How can we find the right ones for the OLPC?
We are hoping that we can build upon our Bookmark Explorer for this: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks-explore.php

Challenge #3: bookreader software. We've got a lot to do here. We have
been concentrating on scanning books, and are just getting our feet
wet with GnuBook. We are trying to get it in decent shape, and are
working off this buglist: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnubook/+bugs
Once we get some of the showstopper bugs fixed, we can embed the
bookreader on archive.org and openlilbrary.org.

While we work on squashing GnuBook bugs and adding some key features,
can someone else look at taking the code and packaging it as a
standalone olpc activity? Our code lives here: http://github.com/openlibrary/bookreader/tree/master

I have a happy note to end on: last week I read a book cover-to-cover
in the GnuBook reader on a mac laptop. I had the book open as a PDF at
the same time, and the experience of reading an entire book in the
online bookreader was much smoother than reading it as a pdf. The pdf
was very clunky. IA image-based pdfs are especially slow to render.
This is the first time I've actually been able to read an entire book
online. Usually I give up and print them out on a book printer. Now
that we can match the experience of reading an offline pdf in the
online bookreader, I hope we can take it a lot further and make
reading a book on a computer something that everyone will enjoy doing,
on all platforms.

-raj