[Afghanistan] School servers and mesh networking in Afghanistan

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 04:59:47 EDT 2011

Dear Tony and Mario,

We recently set up an olpc afghanistan mailing list (cc:ed) to discuss
issues relating to the XO deployments there.

Mario, I hear that you were in the area helping Paiwastoon develop
better freifunk wireless solutions.  There is also a fabfi mesh in
Jalalabad that some OLPC children and their families are using at
home:
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/sj/2011/06/12/introducing-afghans-to-wikipedia/

Tony, I know you have been looking for more groups to take up great
school server builds as part of their school offerings.  All 9 schools
in Afghanistan have school servers, but they have a somewhat custom
build and haven't been updated to match changes in other countries in
a couple of years.  So there's a good project to be started around
simply revisiting and updating those servers [and perhaps sharing
their local tweaks with others].

I'd be interested to hear what both of you have been doing recently in
those areas.

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266