[Activities] wrong Activity versions for 8.2(.1) -- Etoys, Memorize, Terminal, Read, others

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Wed May 27 02:32:07 EDT 2009

BUG: Software update in OLPC release 8.2.1 doesn't attempt to read
8.2.1 versions of files such as
because, I think, nobody updated /etc/olpc-release !

/etc/olpc-release contains 8.2, and if you read
bitfrost/update/actinfo.py's get_major_version(), that's the wrong
content and leads to the wrong behavior:
  get_os_version() = 802
  get_release_version() = 8.2   should be 8.2.1
  get_major_version()= None   should be 8.2

Bug #8022 was filed about this for Release 8.2.0 but not fixed, I
filed a similar bug for 8.2.1, http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9317

Also, the progress output of Software update is *incredibly* misleading, it says
  Fetching http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1
when in fact it is probably retrieving a different URL with a build or
release part tacked on.  And then it seems to read variations of
update_url from activity.info, and and possibly repeatedly reads
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities , but none of this is its log or
debug output.

As I remark in bug 9317, I think a workaround would be for the Etoys
team to create http://etoys.laptop.org/xo/802  , as 802 is the build
number of Release 8.2.1. Software update tries the update URL with
/802 on the end before anything else.

Bert Fruedenberg wrote
> Besides, most of its functionality is provided by the
> "etoys" glucose module which is not a downloadable
>  activity. Activity version 94 is virtually identical to
> version 101.

So maybe it's not worth bothering to address this just for Etoys.  If
and when other activities need a special 8.2.1 version, the problem
will recur.

I wrote
>  I believe Software update on 8.2.x determines the latest
> versions from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2

I added a bunch of debug prints to bitfrost and updater.py and for the
G1G1 activity group on 8.2.1 Software update actually tries
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/802  (no such URL currently)
  It *should* try http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2.1 , but doesn't.
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2   (succeeds and it
uses this info)
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1        (next it would have
tried this)

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_updater is quite vague on what
happens when there is more than one set of URLs that might have update
info for an installed activity.  I *think* an installed
activity.info's activity_url (if it has one) wins out, then the G1G1
activity group, and if an activity doesn't have an activity_url and
isn't in the activity group, then Software update reads the set of
URLs for http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities (and finds only
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities, which mostly transcludes

=S Page

More information about the Activities mailing list