[Activities] new activity, RoadMap

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Fri Sep 5 08:57:39 EDT 2008

well, it's a new activity, but an old program.  i finally got
around to bundling up the street mapping program that i've been
using for years.  (disclaimer:  i'm also the current project
maintainer on sourceforge, and principal author.)

it's on the wiki now (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/RoadMap).  the
bundle installs on current joyride builds, and presumably also on
the 8.2 stream.  the project home page is http://roadmap.sourceforge.net .

as a proper sugar activity, it's a bit rough, since it's a legacy
app, and since it needs some system services to help it out
(access to high-volume storage on the SD card, access to a GPS
device).  even without sugar, it's also a bit rough -- no UTF8,
primitive, partially implemented i18n, no in-line ability to
download new OSM maps (you can download tiger maps on the fly,
but you need to set up your own repository first), etc etc.

anyway, diane serley has been pestering me about writing this up
for some time, christoph's question about why Map (a different
mapping activity) doesn't currently work spurred me into action.

christoph -- http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/brno.tgz contains maps of
brno, if you'd like them.  unpack onto your USB or SD card into a
top-level RoadMap.maps directory, so that it appears as
/media/<whatever>/RoadMap.maps/qt23/...  on your XO.  the lack of
UTF8 is a problem, but at least th streets and parks are all
there.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org