[laptop-accessibility] Text Mode Browsers, Screen Reader

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Mon Oct 8 13:56:28 EDT 2007

Hi Aaron,

It needn't be an "either - or" proposition.  On GNU/Linux systems with
GNOME and a functioning console today, blind users often use both.
Also, some find that a screen reader focused on the console is
preferable for use in terminal windows - as they are typically designed
to better handle the pseudo-structure of form layouts, etc. that console
applications often use.

Also, given some of the hurdles we have to overcome to bring the GNOME
desktop assistive technologies to the XO, bringing some of the existing
console approaches to it now would allow some use by the blind while the
graphical environment catches up.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,