[laptop-accessibility] A possible solution?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Oct 1 09:03:45 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:42 -0500, Aaron Cannon wrote:

> Hi Jim.
>
> I have no doubt that accessibility is important to the OLPC folks, and I
> completely understand that you are all busy.  My intent wasn't to criticize.
> I just wanted to make the point that it wasn't getting worked on.
>
> Now that I know that folks are at least open to the idea, I will do a little
> research and get back to you with a more concrete proposal.

Thanks.  And I was also constrained as to hiring/contracting, but am no
longer as constrained now that production is imminent:  see
http://www.laptop.org/en/jobs.shtml for current openings.  Given the
right proposal, I can probably swing either OLPC helping fund work, or
work with governments to do so (or both, which is probably the ideal I'd
like to see).  What I have to focus on at the moment is filling the
above urgent openings and do not have time to do the legwork myself
right now.  We will certainly will be engaging with launch countries and
raise the topics of localization, accessibility, as well as
connectivity.

We've had enough to worry about with a novel dual mode, very high
resolution displays that makes most existing themes useless, and
building a GUI for young children (who, for example, need larger type
than older children; not to mention avoiding text based traps in the
UI).  That, for example, forced going with pre-release versions of Gecko
that support scaling.

Conventional desktops don't work for pre-literate children, whether they
have disabilities or not.  So that's where we had to focus initially.
                      Thanks for your interest and help,
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys